STATEMENT BY HONOURABLE SHARIE B. DE CASTRO,
MINISTER OF EDUCATION, CULTURE, YOUTH AFFAIRS, AND SPORTS
UPDATE ON THE REOPENING OF SCHOOLS
Friday, August 26th, 2022
Good day all,
In two weeks, academics and college students will returning to the classroom after an extended summer time break. I want all academics and college students a productive studying expertise as all of us work collectively to rework the lives of our most treasured useful resource – our youngsters.
In July of this yr, we knowledgeable you of the Ministry of Schooling’s plans to relocate the workers and college students of the Althea Scatliffe Major Faculty. This motion was taken after a structural evaluation of the Althea Scatliffe Major Faculty constructing, performed in June by Civil and Structural Engineering Restricted, revealed that the constructing was structurally unsound and unsuitable for continued use.
As a reminder, the well being and security of our youngsters and academics comes first.
Preparations to deal with the scholars at Enis Adams Major Faculty and Francis Lettsome Major Faculty had been outlined in my assertion on July 29th, 2022.
Immediately we’re happy to announce that the Ministry of Schooling has partnered with Unite BVI who has agreed to soak up the full value of the infrastructural works wanted to supply a protected and purposeful studying surroundings for the scholars at each Enis Adams and Francis Lettsome Major Colleges.
That is distinctive information for us and we thank the crew at Unite BVI for making a distinction.
I’m happy to report that the tasks will begin subsequent week and within the case of Francis Lettsome Major Faculty, might be accomplished in phases, with the primary part to be accomplished in time for the reopening of faculty. It will permit for the scholars and academics to occupy the area in time for the opening of the brand new faculty time period.
The works wanted at Enis Adams Major Faculty embrace the completion of the second flooring school rooms, which is slated to start subsequent week.
Nevertheless, due to the lead time needed for supplies wanted to finish the works, this challenge is estimated to take a bit longer.
In mild of this, and after session with the technical crew on the Ministry of Schooling and the principal of the varsity, a choice has been made to implement a hybrid system on the Enis Adams Major Faculty.
To make sure all college students on the establishment are afforded head to head instruction every day, the next schedule might be carried out:
- College students from kindergarten to grade two, together with college students within the therapeutic kindergarten will attend faculty for full day instruction from 8:30am – 3:15pm, Monday to Friday.
- College students in grades 3 to six will attend on a hybrid schedule with one half of the inhabitants attending within the morning from 8:30am – 12 midday and the opposite half attending within the afternoon from 1:00pm – 4:30pm.
- Consideration has been given to accommodate households who’ve college students in a number of grades so that folks won’t have to choose up at two separate instances throughout the day.
A gathering was held to tell the dad and mom of this replace.
I wish to guarantee everybody that securing an area appropriate for the distinctive studying wants of the distinctive college students of the Eslyn Henley Richez Studying Centre has been a precedence of the Ministry.
We’re happy to announce that this group might be housed on the Valarie O. Thomas Neighborhood Centre in Sea Cow’s Bay for the upcoming faculty yr. Transportation might be made accessible for individuals who want it.
The Ministry of Schooling takes this time to thank the Social Improvement Division for permitting using this area and serving to to make sure that educating and studying continues for the Eslyn Henley Richez Studying Centre.
The Elmore Stoutt Excessive Faculty which was scheduled to be accomplished in time for the reopening of the 2022 – 2023 faculty yr has confronted some unforeseeable setbacks leading to a delay of the completion of this challenge.
Extra particularly, delays surrounding the arrival time of home windows and doorways together with different fixtures has led the Ministry to implement a hybrid system for college students for the following few weeks. Simply this week the Restoration and Improvement Company acquired among the home windows and doorways, and subsequent week they hope to obtain the stability. We’re all preserving our fingers crossed that the varsity might be accomplished for October 2022.
This might be organised as follows:
- College students of Grades 7, 10, 11 and 12 will attend face-to-face classes day by day from Monday to Friday.
- College students of Grades 8 and 9 will attend faculty in a hybrid style. On alternate weeks, college students from Grade 8 and 9 will attend face-to-face classes utilizing the next sample:
- Week 1: Grade 8: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Grade 9: Thursday, Friday
- Week 2: Grade 9: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Grade 8: Thursday, Friday
3. College students and fogeys might be supplied with a calendar to point the times on which they need to attend face-to-face classes.
4. College students in Junior grade ranges will attend within the morning session and senior college students will attend the afternoon classes. The bell schedule for every session might be shared throughout orientation.
Total, I’m happy to have offered this crucial info.
We wish to guarantee that all of our academics and college students are taken care of as their well being and security are our first precedence. The ministry stays dedicated to making sure that each one college students within the territory are afforded entry to schooling as that is important to the continued improvement of this territory.